Nicole - Agoura Hills, California

Nicole Werdesheim

Gina Kosmos-Believe

“Don’t forget me,” were the very last words Gina Kosmos said to her mother. About two years ago, a very tragic event happened. My step-mom’s sister died of breast cancer. She was only 35 years old and was a very healthy woman. When her family found out she had breast cancer, everyone was devastated and asked the question, “Why Gina, why Gina?” I believe you should live everyday to the fullest, not knowing if you will die tomorrow, or 80 years from now.

Before Gina died, I never really thought that my life could end at any moment. Looking at Kim’s (my step-mom) family, and everything they’ve been through, I really have a lot of respect for all of them. Knowing that someone really close to them died at such a young age is hard to take in, but really makes you appreciate every breath you take.

If you were to die today, would you regret anything you didn’t do? From my perspective, Gina had a great life- Three kids that will always love her, a wonderful husband who was there for her when she needed him the most, and a huge family, who supported her and never gave up even when the going got tough. When I think of my life I realize I have accomplished many things even though I am only 14. The worst thing is to pass away and not have lived your life to the fullest. I know this all sounds depressing, but this has changed me and made me realize that I shouldn’t get upset over small things. For example- getting mad at my parent’s for no reason, fighting with my sister, or not being able to watch TV because my stepsister’s are. You only live life once so you should enjoy as much of it as you can.

My parent’s have always been here for me and taught me that living is a privilege and to not take advantage, but appreciate your life. Everyday doesn’t have to be perfect, and there are definitely times when I want to just hide in my room and never come out. Thinking about others who are less fortunate, or people who are dying in the world always gets me to realize I have an amazing life. Living everyday to the fullest is one of the most valuable lessons I’ve learned. This I believe.