Patricia - Southbridge, Massachusetts

Discrimination against others because of physical as well as theoretical qualities occurs often in the world today. This is a topic that tends to be overseen by the majority of the world because of the lack of education on the subject. While most people view discrimination as someone receiving unequal treatment because of their gender or race, this is only a small part of what prejudice really is. Discrimination can also occur because of hair color, likes and dislikes, and so much more. The lack of education on this topic makes it much easier for prejudice to occur because people are unaware that their rights are being infringed upon.

All of the people in this world are equals and therefore should be treated with the same decency and respect. As is stated in the golden rule, “treat others as you would like to be treated.” No one in this world would want to be treated as “less than human”, therefore we should not act in a way that would make others feel inferior. Unequal treatment of someone, no matter what the circumstances, is downright wrong and is a federal crime; yet despite the use of law enforcement, this action still occurs in the world today.

Since these illegal actions happen often, one might think that many of these cases would be reported daily; unfortunately, this assumption is incorrect. Out of all the people, only small fractions of the people actually report being mistreated and the majority of the people charged with this illegal action are not convicted. This is very angering because if we cannot live without the fear of being discriminated against, then we are not as “free” as we once thought that we were.

Because of the corruption and wrongdoing in this world, this action takes place on a regular basis in ordinary situations. Unfortunately, these actions cannot be monitored at all times of the day so they keep occurring in our world. Although we may not be able to prevent these events from happening to us all the time, we can certainly prevent it from happening to others by not practicing this discrimination. When we stop doing something that we know as wrong, others like us may find the courage to do the same. When the truth spreads and we work together, we can accomplish this extraordinary task of abolishing discrimination in our world today. This task is possible and with hard work and determination, we can make this happen. This I believe.