Erin - Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

I believe you should live each day as if it was your last.

What if your best friend, a family member, or someone you loved dearly passed away today and you never got the chance to say goodbye. How would you feel? What if you, yourself died tomorrow and you never got to live your life to its fullest. Each day, we have a choice to make; are we going to live as it were our last, or fly through our lives letting the days pass us by?

Everyday, more than 100,000 people die in our world. If you were the lucky one to survive, how would you spend your day on earth? Would you spend it doing your normal routines, maybe not thinking of anyone but yourself; or would you reach out to those in need, not letting a word of hate come from your mouth? Maybe you would try sky diving, calling a grandparent who lives far away, or talking to a friend in need. We must think that our last day is today, this moment, this second, and then we are gone. All those hopes and dreams we wish we’d done, such as comforting that girl who was sad, or saying “hi” to that boy in the hallway, are gone. That’s why I believe that every second in life is precious. Although you may not think giving flowers to elders, contributing clothes to the poor, or building a house for a family does a lot, it means the world to those receiving the gift.

We must believe that today is our last day. Our last day to shine on this earth, to do anything and everything we have always wanted. Maybe say “hi” to a boy or girl left out, help those who have less, or even hug a friend who is feeling down. When things don’t go our way, we must believe that it happened for a reason. This one moment happened because it would lead us maybe in a different direction, for the better.

I learned this in sixth grade when my mom passed away. I remember asking myself many times, “Did I let her know how much I loved her?”, “Did I hug her every chance I got?” You often never realize how much someone means to you until they are taken away. Think about it, how many times do you say “I love you” to those who truly mean the world. Wouldn’t you want to leave the world letting everyone you love know how much they mean to you? Although you may see your friends and your parents’ everyday, you never know when one can be taken from you within the blink of an eye.

At times I just sit and think “What if she was still here.” So many things would be different. I would not live in Chicago nor would I know anyone here in Illinois that I do know now. I know that my mom was meant to be up in Heaven, and she is now looking out for me every day. Sometimes in life we are not always given what we want, but something good always comes in return. We must think positively and be strong, because once you have survived the troubles and hardships, you come out a much stronger person then anyone would’ve ever thought.

“You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die. Or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live. Now” (Joan Baez). This quote is a great example of how everyone should carry out their life. Each individual has their own unique life, and many choices to make. Why not start today and let everyone know that if today was your last, you would be glad because you know every second was worth it.