John - Brecksville, Ohio

I am an atheist that believes in the holy trinity. Now I grew up in a Christian religion which believed in the holy trinity, but I confess it was always a little confusing when it came to the “holy spirit”.

The holy spirit was mysterious and incomprehensible to me, especially from a religious point of few. Two of the trinity seemed perfectly sensible as a religious child. The “Father” and the “son”. These two I could pretty much always picture in my mind, I could understand this, perhaps because I was a son of a human and I knew this relationship and I could vaguely relate it to the holy trinity. It was always that nagging holy spirit which just defied my imagination, I guess I always imagined a smokey, wafting, intelligence, but it was difficult.

Now that I have transformed into an atheist you may wonder what has finally caused me to believe in the holy trinity. I must admit that during my early years as an atheist, I always could bring up this holy trinity and this mysterious holy spirit as a point of why I was drawn to atheism. How could anyone make sense out of the holy spirit, you may as well believe in just about anything if you believe in this.

But as I progressed and became entrenched in atheism, I would many times wonder about how the holy spirit came into the picture. Then it hit me and I changed into an atheist that believes in the holy trinity. Not quite the holy trinity you may still hear about in the god believing sector, but a holy trinity just powerful.

While wondering about the trinity, I thought about how sensible father and son seemed, and if I just changed the holy spirit into “mother”. The atheistic trinity began to take shape for me. This I could understand, but why did it need to be a son? Why not a daughter. Why not just an offspring! This was the moment of clarity.

The Father, the Mother ,and the Offspring. Female, Male, child. This is truly our holy trinity. Without this trinity we cease to exist as a species. We are all a part of this trinity.

Sometimes we even have different roles within this trinity, but it is us and we are it.

The atheist holy trinity, and I would dare say this truly was the original concept way back in the dawn of deities, and somehow men changed the woman into holy spirit, but this is a daring guess.

Now the holy trinity now does makes perfect sense to me, and this holy trinity should be revered, and this holy trinity should be respected, and this holy trinity should be protected, and and this holy trinity should be held above all else. The holy trinity above self, above competing points of religious views, above our governments.

Thou shalt have no god above the holy trinity. ( I guess this could be the atheist first commandment.) This could be a concept of most importance to our futures. I think if we concentrated on this holy trinity in our everyday affairs, we could really begin to help ourselves.

I have always, and I am not alone, felt the family comes before most everything else, certainly before work and before hobbies. Now I feel I have a more rational more complete understanding of how I am an atheist that believes in the holy trinity.