Cristina - Van Nuys, California

The Sixth Sense of Humor

I believe that laughter is the key to life. Anywhere from a chuckle to a tee-hee or a full blown cackle to a hardy-har, laughter makes life worth living and can remove even the biggest weight from your shoulders. Laughing helps you remember that life doesn’t always have to be so serious.

Laughter can be the perfect ending to a bad day. Have you ever just tried laughing, for no reason, just because? When life seems like it’s crashing down on your skull, I remind myself to just laugh. Even if it’s just at how horrible life can be. In the worst of situations, laughing also reminds me that my so-called “stress” and “problems” can be so miniscule compared to those who have it much worse. Laughter has the ability to release a power from your soul. The power to be happy for everything you have been given, even if you’re having a rough time.

Laughter can light up a room. It’s hard for me to be around people who don’t have a sense of humor. Imagine walking into a place after what seems like the worst day of your life. You see a person, talking to someone else, waving their arms around in excited gesture. You think to yourself, “Maybe they’re telling a joke, how divine!” That is the person I flock to; the person who could have had just as horrific a day as I’ve had but now they’re enjoying that power to “just laugh it off”. They’re enjoying the power of having a sense of humor.

My parents are always laughing. They are the first ones who instilled this easy going attitude in me. I remember one night when my dad and I were just sitting together in a room of his house. We were talking intensely, probably about our latest family problems, when all of a sudden we hear the weirdest sound that came from outside. Not a scary sound, just this “Eeeeaaagggtthhh!” I said “What the hell…..was that noise?” Then my dad went on to describe it, so perfectly I might add, “It sounded like a chihuahua choking on a rottweiler!” I was rolling on the floor! Can you picture the visual image of such a small dog trying to swallow a rottweiler? It was exactly the sound you’d think it would make. I don’t think my dad realized how funny the statement was right away. I immediately burst into laughter and then so did he. I laughed so hard that night, I cried and we forgot all about our family problems.

So remember, tell a joke and make someone laugh. Make them blow milk out their nose! I bet they’ll never forget it. Laughter is contagious. It is infectious. They can go on to tell that joke to one person and then they tell it to another person and so on. Until, pretty soon, everyone is blowing milk out their nose.