Christian - Alpharetta, Georgia

“Do or do not! There is no try!” Strong words from a little man named Yoda from the movie Star Wars. Yoda was the ultimate Jedi master. He was wise and all knowing. He did not believe in the doing your best and hoping for a positive outcome. Rather, he believed in committing yourself completely to a challenge. He also believed that if you went into a situation with confidence you would accomplish it no matter what challenges you were faced with. Failure was not an option, and neither was hoping to do well. You had only one option; go out and do what was needed to be done in order to succeed.

I believe that Yoda shaped my life and my drive to never quit and never fail, but it was not Yoda directly who taught me these values. There was another that derived these values from Yoda and Star Wars and taught me in his own way. That person was dearer to me than any movie star could ever hope to be. That person was my father. In a galaxy far far away in a little town called Grand Blanc my father was helping me with algebra. There was a simple word problem that I simply could not comprehend, but fortunately my father was there to help. He told me to attempt it one more time and just read the problem. My response was a sigh saying, “Fine I’ll try.” Almost immediately, like a natural reaction my father said, “There is no try! Do or do not!” At that quote I just sat there and pondered what he was trying to tell me, but my little pathetic thirteen year old brain could not comprehend his underlying message. So, I tried the problem just one more time to satisfy my fathers demand and I surprisingly arrived at the correct solution. A year later I told him I wanted to try and make the basketball team. His somber response was the same as before and again I stood there shocked and bewildered, not knowing what to think. Again I was confused and didn’t fully understand what he was trying to tell me, but the meaning was starting to come out of the dark depths of the Degaba system of my mind. Once again I accomplished what I had set out to do and I successfully made the 9th grade basketball team. Almost two years later another instance came and I told my father that I wanted to try and play football in college. Like clockwork the famous saying was pouring out my father’s mouth like a broken record. However this time I was stricken with the force and the underlying message, the true meaning, became known to me. I had finally discovered that the only way to truly accomplish any goals in life would be to commit myself completely. I now know as my father did that if I was ever to go after something with my entire being I would achieve it. There would be nothing that could stop me. I have that Fredericks mentality that will never let me quit or accept failure. I have it, my father had it, and my sister has it. I believe that my father taught me everything he knew and did a remarkable job doing it. I have learned so much from him and because of him I know what type of person I am and what type of person I will be in the future for I know that I can not fail. And I owe all of that confidence, and drive to my father.