Christopher - Glendale, California

I believe in dates. I am an international student from France and I have been studying in the sunshine state for more than one year now. I spend most of my weekend with a couple of friend who have been together for more than four years now. True love indeed. They are my best friends and I really enjoy spending time with them. However, sometimes, as most of couple, they need their time alone, which I completely understand. So sometimes because of that and the fact that I am not twenty-one yet, Fridays’ and Saturdays’ nights were very boring. Then, I started as a lot of single, to want to find my soul mate so I started dating.

After a few months, without finding my soul mate, and a number of dates. Here is what I have learned; There is four main categories of dates:

– First, there is the date that never occurs: Unluckily the person that you want to date is a busy person. She is always canceling at the last minute or she is always busy when you are calling to go out. Usually she already has plans with her friends or she is a responsible student doing homework a Saturday night( “Sure!”). The best part of the story is when you remember that she is the one who asked your phone number at the party where you met her. Women sometimes! (No offense Ladies)

– Then, there is the date which is simply bad; The person makes you uncomfortable with a specific attitude. For example she can be talking about a topic that does not interest you at all, doing something that you do not like, or not doing something that you like. One time I had a combo. The girl did all of them in a restaurant. First she talked about her religion, I told her that I was not Churchgoer and tried to change the subject but she manage to continue talking about it. Then when we the moment came of ordering the food she told me that she had already eaten knowing that we were coming at a restaurant. Last detail but nonetheless a very important one ;she never smiled. I felt very uncomfortable eating alone with her staring me without a smile. After the date I started thinking that maybe she did not like me at all for having such a behavior. The thirty missed calls that I had the next day proven me wrong (My friends can certified). I did not call her back.

-Then, there is the “surprise” date ; It is a very rare kind of date but when it happens it leaves you without words. For example: Everything is going well, you are having a great time, she is laughing at your jokes, she is cute and she seems nice. As a mater of fact you are even thinking of making a move(holding her hand in that case), but then an unexpected event occurs: she is receiving a call and then she said:” Excuse me, my boyfriend is calling“, “I am sorry?”, “My boyfriend is calling from Japan”. “Oh, great…for you”.

-Finally and hopefully, there is the “perfect” date; It is the kind of date when none of the elements of the three others categories above occurs. Usually both of you had a great time. The movie was good, the restaurant was excellent, the conversation was interesting and the jokes were funny. You will definitely call her back to see her next week. Hopefully, she thinks the same. That for me is still a “myth“.

Even if most of singles would be desperate by these results well I am not. It makes funny stories to tell to my best friends and sometimes makes me laugh too in a middle of a boring Monday class when the teacher ask how was our weekends.

The best thing of dating when is that every time you go to one you will never know if this one is going to be the one which will makes you stop being single.