Jamie - Oak Park, California
Themes: carpe diem

Live in the Now

Whenever I am sitting and thinking, there are all these thoughts going through my head, whether they are thoughts from the past, present, or future. They are about my life, my relationships, my responsibilities, and anything that has recently occurred. The thoughts that stick out most are the ones from the present. The thoughts from the past and future are only in the back of my mind, and I’m only sitting on them, not dwelling. This is because I believe that you should always “live in the now.” This means to me that you should always be thinking about what’s happening now, not what has happened or is going to happen.

Leaving behind the past is an important concept in this belief. Things like, “Why couldn’t this be like before?” or “I wish I was back in time and was doing this over,” these statements really bother me. Depending on the past or hoping things could go back to the way they were, is not good to think about. It always gets me stuck in the past and is hard to get past. Let’s say you break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend, you want to try and get past it instead of thinking about it all the time. I always hear my family talk about how they wish my grandfather was here with us. I think it’s ok to have him in their hearts but sometimes I just want to yell, “He’s not coming back! So stop thinking he will!”

Dreaming of the future just makes you mad if things aren’t ok in the present. Whenever I am with my friends, we will always be thinking about what is going to happen later in life. I will be thinking about things I will be able to do when I get a car, or go to college, or am an adult. I try to stop myself from doing it and just try to stay in the frame of mind of “living in the now.” I realize that things aren’t going to be that way for a while so I just might as well make the most of what’s happening now instead of thinking how things are going to be.

To me, living in the present is a great way to live your life. It helps you focus on what is happening right now, in this life. When I hear someone trying to wish on things in the past or future I just try to say to them, “live in the now, it will make you a better person.” This is why I have a strong belief to “live in the now.”