Samantha - Olathe, Kansas

The grass is greener on the other side. We have all heard this hundreds of times and most of us roll or eyes and give an unemotional nod to who ever may be saying it. But, it is true and most people are in constant pursuit for the “greener grass”.

Trust me I know. I’m in advance placement classes, trying to get involved in my school in almost every way possible, in band, sports, I generally don’t know where I am or what it is that I’m doing for more than half the day. I have the stress that many other high school kids have. I know I’m not the only one. But it always seems like what I am going through is much worse. It seems that out of all of the kids I know, I am the most stressed. I am always looking for the a way to make myself better. Figuring out that formula for physics, getting the A, shaving off another ten seconds off my mile or fitting into that one pair of jeans that always seem too be a little to tight.

After all, life is just one big search for something better. People are always preparing for the future. There’s pre-kindergarten to prepare you for kindergarten, kindergarten to prepare you for elementary school, which, in turn, prepares you for Junior High, then you have actual High School which prepares you for college and college supposedly prepares you for life, if you haven’t been living the past twenty years of your life. And it doesn’t end there. You have internships, apprenticeships, cute, little dogs to prepare you for having children, apartments to prepare you for homes. Life is just one big preparation, one big pursuit of something better, that is what I believe.

But, I have an additional belief. A belief that I am constantly reminding myself to follow; I believe that it’s important just to be happy. It’s so easy for me to get caught up in college searches, homework, and all the other stuff life throws at me, that I simply forget to be happy. I get lost in my own thoughts and miss the little things that make life so much better. Things as simple as laughing with my friends, screaming until I can’t scream anymore at school football games, singing obnoxiously loud in my Jeep to my favorite song, knowing that everyone around me is cringing in pain. Because honestly, that is what you are going to remember most in life. The little stupid, senseless things you do.

Unfortunately, to live successfully people do have to continue improving. I am caught in the never-ending race for improvement, for the greenest grass possible. But, what’s the point of having the greenest grass in the whole world, if you don’t stop to notice it?