Katharine - Bartlett, Illinois

When in Doubt, Watch a Chick Flick

Ask me what I believe, and chances are I’ll say I don’t know. I have very few answers about God and the afterlife, but I do know one thing: I love chick flicks. Whether I need some reassurance that life is good, or I’m just feeling sick, I know that I can count on chick flicks to make me feel better.

I have been watching movies since before I can remember, but the first chick flick that caught my attention was When Harry Met Sally. No matter how many times I watch it, I am still apprehensive over whether Harry and Sally are really going to end up together. It is the same with every other chick flick. No matter how many times I see it, I still feel for the characters. When the inevitable conflict develops, I root for the characters to pull through; and they always do. When the man and woman finally get together and share that great end-of-movie kiss, I am delighted. When I’m sad, chick flicks make me happy. When I’m happy, they make me happier. When I don’t know what to watch, I know that my chick flicks are a safe bet. When in doubt, I watch a chick flick.

The great thing about chick flicks- the reason that they make me happy- is that they reassure me that everything works out in life. There are times when I really need that reassurance, when people are so cruel that I begin to doubt whether I should bother with them anymore. Chick flicks remind me that yes, people are worth it. They remind me to never give up because good things can and do happen to those who deserve it. The woman who feels insecure about herself finds love and happiness in the arms of an understanding, and always attractive, man. The villain either finds redemption or gets what he or she deserves. As unrealistic as the outcome of most chick flicks may seem, somehow they are still believable. They make fantasy a reality. They transport me to another place where dreams come true and everyone, except the bad guy, lives happily ever after. They are the embodiment of every woman’s fantasy. Chick flicks portray such impossible situations because they are designed to give women the illusion that life is fair, and people do get their happy endings– even if it only lasts for ninety minutes.