emily - Oak Park, California

You Only Get One Life, Live it to the Fullest

I believe in living life to the fullest, even when put into the worst situations getting through them with a smile on your face and hope in your heart. One person whom I knew always had a smile on his face and was so happy and friendly to everyone who knew him. He is an 8 year old boy who suffers from down syndrome, who was the person who inspired a special needs cheer competition team at my old gym. The first time I met him I was helping out at one of the practices for the special needs team and we were teaching them how to do summersaults, even if he fell over or needed help getting around he was still smiling and happy and wasn’t frustrated at all. The entire practice he was smiling and jumping around.

When it came time for them to perform at the first competition I remember seeing all the children excited but as soon they came to the stage he ran to the front smiling and doing cheer claps. It was one of the most amazing things I had ever seen all the people in the stands even from rival gyms were crying and clapping, they got the most applause of any team in the entire competition. When they heard all the applause there faces light up with a special glow feeling so accomplished. It made me think how can these people who are sick and disabled be so happy and full of life, then I realized they want to live there lives to the fullest and not let anything bring them down and that’s how all of us should live our lives. And that is why I believe in living your life to the fullest