Jay - New Orleans, Louisiana
Themes: community

Recover, rebuild and revitalize. Hurricane Katrina flooded eighty percent of the city but many of us are back. I believe that taking part in the recovery effort has helped me get through the shock and disgust that my house went underwater. From the time I came back from an extended evacuation, I have been involved with forming neighborhood associations, attending planning meetings, participating in clean up and rebuilding activities. There are opportunities to leave and go to nice, clean places with plenty of jobs and city services available. But I want to be here to see what happens in New Orleans. I want to see the grass roots projects that my groups and I have kicked off become reality.

I believe New Orleans can come back and succeed and remain unique. We recognize room for improvement and we aim to see it come back better than before. I believe many of the people who are here are working towards this and the goal is achievable. With time, dedication and energy, the “city that care forgot” will be rebuilt by the people who care enough.

Enc-Orleans! Recover, rebuild and revitalize.