Kathryn - Beavercreek, Ohio

As a young child I was often asked by my mother to do certain things around the house. After dinner it was helping the clean the kitchen, or when friends would leave to clean the playroom, or washing windows on those warm spring Saturdays, but it wasn’t ever something that intrigued me. I would rather continue either watching TV. or just playing outside on the swing set. My sister and I would seldom jump with enthusiasm when my mom would ask, but would reluctantly help do the various chores, only after being asked a thousand times. So many other things seemed to catch my eye more so than chores and housework. Chores aren’t necessarily a child’s favorite thing to occupy their time. By the time we were done, we were sure to have heard the phrase, “Many hands make like work”, at least once. Time quickly passed and growing up just meant getting involved in more activities than before. Therefore, to this day, I seem to put off everything my mom wants me to do, that way I have enough time for all the things I want to do; saving everything she asks for last, or until she threatens to take away all other activities because I’ve blown off the things she asks for so long. Though in growing and being busy I have also had to work various times with others, and have also learned that it never stops. It’s much easier to accomplish a task when everyone pitches in and does their part. The task seems to be larger when working by yourself or when you are carrying the weight of a group effort, but when others start to pitch in, the work load seems to lighten up even when one other person pitches in to help out. Working as a team, bears less work for you but also lets others pitch in their ideas and express themselves toward the group effort that is trying to be achieved. Certainly there has been time that has passed since the first time I heard this phrase, however, I now believe it to be true.