Megan - Brandon, Florida

Can I Have That Tide To Go?

“There is no way I can get all of this done in just one day, there is just way too much laundry to do.” As a naïve little girl, I remember hearing my frantic mother say this almost every Saturday morning. At this age, I was clueless to the importance of laundry, I continued sitting at the cherry wood coffee table, my hair parted into two perfectly even pigtails, eating my Honey Nut Cheerios, my blue eyes glued to the television screen. I was anxiously waiting to see what crazy thing Fred Flintstone would do next. Honestly, who could be concerned with laundry when Bam Bam was missing?

I have been doing my own laundry for years now, but I didn’t understand the importance of laundry until two weeks into my junior year of high school. Human nature makes me think that I am invincible, so I try to cram 32 hours of work into a 24-hour period. Doing my laundry always seems to be the one that that gets neglected in my busy schedule. It goes unnoticed until I wake up one morning and realize, that there is absolutely nothing clean to wear.

Beyond the dirty clothes, it seems like there is always so much to do. I have one hour before I need to be at work, and the traffic on the interstate will with out a doubt make me late. There’s also the pointless meeting to attend, not to mention the deadlines that are approaching faster that the speed of light. Naturally, I would like to be able to sleep tonight, but that just doesn’t seem like a possibility.

I get to the point where I am so stressed out, that if some one-steps on my toe, I will inevitability burst into tears. Just when I’m at the point of giving up, that Saturday morning rolls around.

I am able to take the stained, dirty, and smelly clothes, put them in the washer and add the cup full of Tide. The Tide washes away the dirt and stains from the clothing, along with my doubt and insecurities. Suddenly the stains that were made earlier this week are gone, being a few minutes late for work, and not being prepared for a meeting doesn’t seem to matter as much anymore. The things we didn’t succeed at are washed away by something as simple as hearing, “Good Job.” or finally being able to get a full night of sleep. Just like hearing good job doesn’t mean work is never going to be hectic again, the clean clothes don’t bring a brand new wardrobe, but a clean start. For that one brief moment I’m able to have the sense of accomplishment and peace of mind. .

Unfortunately, feeling like you have accomplished something is gone with the start of a new day. When I wake-up in the morning, there is a fresh new load of laundry waiting. No matter how much gets accomplished, there is always too much laundry.