Richard - Miller Place, New York

I believe in the theory of smooth and easy. It is my philosophy in life, work, love and parenting. It is the management style I grapple with as others push and pull, shout and scream. I have only started to share my theory with others as I approach the mid years of my life. It took a long time to become comfortable with the guilt of not living up to others standards of authority, perfection and life. As a child I was often described as the easy one, easy to get along with, easy to push around and easy to ignore. What started me down this path I don’t know? Was it that I was the overweight child growing up and being teased? Is it a defense mechanism? These are all the questions someone would ask nay suggest if they did not understand that I have embraced this mantra and work to apply and spread the theory. It works for me and has worked for the last 18 years. The birth of my son forced me to face myself, get out of myself and get back to a life I had let slip away with the death of my father. Forced to find myself in the world, alone and a single father, I longed for a mentor, someone to replace the father that I so needed to turn to with questions, thoughts and everyday concerns. Along the way I have met many men who have filled the role of guide. Most share the central traits that I find in myself. They all approached life smooth and easy.

So what encompasses the smooth and easy? The understanding that the same imperfections that I struggle with each day are the same that we all struggle with and to judge them in others is to fault myself. To understand and carry empathy to its fullest extent with all, including those who hurt, hate and even attack us. To not jump to conclusions, expectations and decisions even when it frustrates and galls others. And it will. Carrying out the smooth and easy can be hard in this go-go hard charging world filled with tools to speed our lives and make us do more with less. The benefits abound though, for in the smooth and easy I accomplish much. I am a good father, husband, friend and worker. As an EMT with my local fire department, I volunteer my time and approach each patient with my skills both medical and philosophical. During the emergency situations the smooth and easy wins. It does not prevent from working hard and fast but keeps me focused on the patient and helps them have confidence in me. This thing works for me and in all of my life. When faced with struggles, it keeps me going and for this I am thankful. Approach life smooth and easy and in saying it feel the words exit your mouth and embrace you. So sit back and embrace the smooth and easy.