Katie - Beavercreek, Ohio

I believe in little kids. Little kids make me who I am today and even though I don’t have any brothers of sisters, children are apart of my life everyday. They make the day enjoyable in what they say or do. My mother always said, “Stop acting like a child”, but that could never happen. Children enjoy the day by going to school and taking a nap or getting snack time. When you’re in high school your lucky if you even get a lunch with the lines we have. Kids have the opportunity to go outside for recess and breathe fresh air, while high school students are stuck in class all day. I loved being a little kid because you could do a lot of things and get away with it too. You could get away with staying out on the playground a little longer, forgetting to do your homework, or even telling your mom your sick when your really not. One girl that I look up to, even though she is only 8, is Taylor. She rides horses with me and looks up to as a big sister. I look up to her because she is a strong person. One day she fell off a really big horse one day after he got spooked by some trees. Taylor fell off pretty hard but wasn’t badly hurt. Mainly, she was in shock from the fall. Her mother ran to her side to see if she was okay. Taylor, who was crying, was really shaken up from the fall. Usually they say you should get back up on the horse after a fall to make sure that you can still ride horses. They do that so you won’t be scared of the horse when you come back to ride the next week. I was so sure she was going to go home because of the way she looked though. She looked so scared and sad, but that’s not what she did. I remember the words straight from her mouth, “No mom, my lessons not over yet, I have to ride!” It was funny, but she was serious about it. Taylor got back up on the horse and rode around. Lessons were over about 30 minutes later and our instructor asked if Taylor wanted to get off, but surprisingly Taylor said no. She wanted to ride around the dusty arena longer. This little girl loves horses just as much as I do, but I never would have gotten back up on that horse if I was that young. Taylor gave me the strength to do new things because of what she did. She was so brave to get back up on a horse that had just thrown her off. She just wanted to ride. I have the biggest amount of faith in myself because of her and I do things now that I’ve never done because of her. I thank Taylor for that.