Lynn - Wexford, Pennsylvania

It’s hard to have a bad day while wearing red shoes.

I truly believe that it’s hard to have a bad day while wearing red shoes. Many people laugh when I espouse this philosophy. I suppose it sounds pretty trivial as a metaphor for life, but it’s a deeply held belief and one of the guiding principles of my life. Why? Because red shoes are really about attitude.

Red shoes say: “I’m not afraid to be a little different: I’m not afraid to stand out from the crowd: I dance to a slightly different drummer than the rest.”

Attitude is what makes the difference between a good day and a bad day; every day. One of the things I have learned through the ups and downs of my life, and there have been plenty, is that your outlook determines the outcome. Every day can either become a gift or something to be gotten through. It just depends on how you look at it. So I choose to consider every day a gift. OK, I admit that it took a fight against breast cancer to finally embrace this very philosophical outlook. But I put on my red shoes and I kicked it in the butt and kept going. You know, it’s harder to hit a moving target.

My husband’s metaphor for life came from a 50 mile hike he took as a Boy Scout. “Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.” There’s not enough joy in that for me. I need my red shoes to help me remember to smile a lot and laugh whenever I can. I surround myself with things and people who make me smile, or preferably giggle uncontrollably.

When I was going through my diagnosis, surgery and treatment, friends constantly asked what they could do for me. I assigned one friend the task of sending me an email each day that would make me laugh out loud. Bless her heart, she came through every day. Yes, I’m one of those people who pass on silly emails to a whole host of friends. I consider the phrase “ I laughed and thought of you” to be one of the highest compliments I receive.

Because at the end of the day, it’s all about the attitude…and the red shoes.