Jenny - Stevens Point, Wisconsin

I believe in believing.

I believe that everyone, deep down, has a dream, a goal, something to strive for, to drive him or her in life. And everyone is entitled to exactly that. If we didn’t have anything to work for in life, life wouldn’t be worth living. We all need incentive to keep on living, and believing does just that. Believing that something bigger and better is out there helps a lot of people, especially me, to get through each and every day of life.

This year in one of my classes, we talked about a woman who had a strong belief of staying with her husband even though she couldn’t be with much if at all. Many of my classmates wondered why she was still with him and strongly thought that she was weird and wrong to still be with her husband. They might have been right because I know if I were in her situation I definitely wouldn’t stay with someone I couldn’t be with the majority of my life, but she had a reason to stay with him. She had her beliefs. Her life is fulfilling to her because she knows that she is following her beliefs. That’s exactly what I think beliefs are. They fulfill everyone’s life in some way or another. Some people may think her beliefs are incorrect or weird or whatever, but everyone is entitled to a belief and everyone has some sort of motivation to follow those particular beliefs.

At this point in my life, I feel a lot of self-doubt and uncertainty. I think a lot of people my age feel the same way, with college entrance exams and pressure to succeed in classes, sports, and anything important to him or her. At the end the of day when I feel completely overwhelmed and I feel like I may not succeed, I think about what may happen if my goals are achieved, and I believe that everything I’m doing now will be worth it in the end. I believe that I truly will be happy later in my life if my dreams are fulfilled.

One of my favorite singer and songwriters sings in one of her new songs, “Here to Stay”, “…We all got a song we’re meant to sing…” Christina Aguilera is one hundred percent correct. And to have beliefs is to sing that song. To live life to its fullest and be completely satisfied with those beliefs. To not let anyone bring himself or herself down because someone else may not feel the same way about one’s beliefs. To not let anyone or anything stand in his or her way to achieve fulfillment. I know I will follow this throughout my life. Through the good and the bad times, I will always believe in believing.