Mark - Beavercreek, Ohio

Ever since I was born I have been around baseball. As long as I can remember I have liked baseball, especially the Cincinnati Reds. One of my earliest memories is when I would get up really early in the morning and find the newspaper. The rest of my day would depend on whether Mr. Red on the front of the paper was smiling for a Reds’ win or frowning for a Reds’ loss. After that I wouldn’t turn the television channel to cartoons but would turn on ESPN and watch SportsCenter with the hope of seeing baseball.

I believe in baseball. I believe in America’s pastime. When others see a boring game where you hit a ball with a stick and run in circles, I see a game full of strategy and team work.

Strategy in baseball can seem a bit unnecessary at times but can make the biggest difference. A manager must know when to take a pitcher out of the game. He must study to see how well each hitter has done against certain pitchers and use that information to put in the right players. Coaches always tell players that they should be moving on every play so that they can help the team. So during every hit the fielder has to know exactly what to do.

I believe that baseball is the ultimate team sport. The game of baseball cannot be played by one person alone. The team aspect of baseball is so great. A pitcher cannot strike anyone out without a catcher to catch him, a team can’t win just because they have one great power hitter, and they can’t win just by having a great defensive player. Baseball takes a full undivided team to win. If you just look back a few years you see that a team like the White Sox can win the World Series not with superstars but with a unified team. Baseball can unify a whole nation. The United States was widely segregated until after Jackie Robinson came up and played for a professional baseball team.

Baseball shows true American spirit. Like I said, no other sport has so much of a team aspect and that is one of the things Americans have. It also is a game of endurance. Which team’s pitcher will last longer? Which team will have the fewest injuries? And who can survive 162 games a year? These are all questions that make baseball an endurance sport.

Baseball is something I believe in still today. It is something I would like to be able to play as my job. Even if that isn’t possible then I would like to work with baseball some way whether writing or talking about it or even just coaching kids. I would want to do this because I believe baseball is a game that builds character and can unify any group of people.