Theresa - Canton, Michigan

I believe that God put me here for a reason. I was told that, repeatedly, by my mother as she tucked me at night. I believed her. I had no reason to doubt her.

That belief has stayed with me throughout my life, good or bad. Being raised a devout Catholic, pre Vatican II, I was taught that everything had to be bad; that life was hard and that we basically didn’t have any right to live a life of happiness.

I associated those thoughts with the belief of being here for a reason as a light at the end of the tunnel.

My parents divorced and my father, God rest his soul, ended up raising me and my three older siblings. I never questioned much about the divorce or how he gained custody of us during the 1960’s but I am certain the circumstances even made the judge, who came to that decision, angry because it made me very angry too.

I acted out. I had no sense of who I was. I experimented with drugs. I skipped school. I ran away from home. I had no idea of what I wanted from life. To say that I lost would be an understatement. But through it all, the belief that God put me here for a reason sustained me. It was my light at the end of the tunnel. I held on to for dear life. I believed in it so much that I would repeat it, over and over, hoping and praying that reason would be revealed; that all would be right with my world and goodness would prevail

Each test that life brought to me, I faced with the optimism that was my reality that God put me here. The turbulent years of raising a teenage daughter; her father who was continually absent throughout her life; unemployment; my daughter leaving to move on with her life, a dying father; love lost and found again after many years and grandchildren.

As I looked back counting my blessing, I got much more than I bargained for; I realized that all the blessings, all the hardships and everything in between was the reason that God put me here.

And as I face being middle-aged; with a husband, an empty nest and world of possibility that is as vast as I want it to be, I know and believe, with every ounce of being that God put me here for a reason. For me, that reason is to be a role model to my children and grandchildren; give to others as others have given to me but more importantly to know and understand that the reason He put me here was to live a life of love, health, happiness and prosperity and to be fully aware of all the good the universe has to offer. We do have a right to be happy regardless of the circumstances. Its for these reasons, and so many more, God put me here.