Brittany - Thornton, Colorado

I Believe In Emotional States of Mind

I believe in being proactive and essentially being positive about everything in life. Life sucks then you die, you really have no way of stopping the inevitable but you can take it the way it is and make it worth while. That’s how I look at life and honestly I feel that if people would stop being so dramatic about things and actually laugh in times of stress and hate then a lot of peoples attitudes about their lives would be improved in dramatic ways.

I believe that when you wake up in the morning you decide on what kind of mood you will be in. Many people will wake up and automatically convince themselves that they will have a bad day, and then through out the day everything that happens to them is everyone else’s fault. This frustrates me on so many levels because I believe that only you, yourself can make you mad. Yes there are aspects in life that might contribute to your ways of living or to the way you might feel about things, but it’s your responsibility to act in a proactive manner.

In contrast, I also believe that there is a time and place for expressing your feelings. For an example being sad because a loved one has passed away is an appropriate time to be emotional or distressed, but I don’t believe in depression. People who are sad for no reason to me is a cry for attention. I don’t believe in “chemical imbalances” in your brain, I believe that you’re just feeling sorry for yourself and you need to get over what ever stage your going through. Things happen you mourn then you get over it. Some might say you’re “hiding” or “covering” up your feelings. I believe that it’s a sense of maturity and strength, which you acquire throughout time.

For an example, I used to think that the world was against me and the only way to make things better was to be against the world and fight back. I would go against the grain to be “cool” and ultimately I was feeling sorry for myself. I started doing drugs, drinking, and being stupid. I had to hit the ground to wake up. I finally realized that life could be a lot worse, I could be deaf, or blind, or crippled in some way or form. I started to feel confident in myself by knowing that everything would be ok if I made it ok. I was waiting for the world to change when really I had to change.

It doesn’t take a lot to change your day from bad to good. It doesn’t take a lot to change someone else’s day from bad to good. I believe that a simple smile or hello can make the world a better place starting with one person at a time.