joseph - canton, Michigan

Real Friendship

What is real friendship? That’s a question that I’ve wondered my whole life and, until now, didn’t really know what it meant. Real friendship is not a term that can be used lightly or dismissed as just another word. Real friendship is one of the rarest things one can expect to find. Unfortunately most people only think that they have real friends and then one day get stabbed in the back by one of the “real friends.” Some people who think they have found “real friendship” during some period of their lives and then one day just grow apart. Some people think that they have “real friendship” and then some one better comes along and the friendship you had is gone, but not me.

Real friendship is the greatest accomplishment anyone can achieve. It’s so amazing yet so hard to know what it really is. This was a concept that I had thought I always understood until my senior year of high school. All through high school I had my “in school friends” who I thought were my real friends. I even had my “around all the time friends” who I thought would be just that, around all the time. I thought that these people were my “real friends,” but it took seven amazing people to show me that I couldn’t have been more wrong.

Towards the end of my senior year I met seven of the greatest people I could have ever met. At the time I didn’t think much of it until one weekend. It was about 3 weeks before senior skip day and I had just met this group of people. They came up to me one day and asked me to go on a senior skip weekend with them to Sleeping Bear Dunes. I figured I might as well go because I had nothing better planned and it sounded like fun. Well I went with them that weekend and had the best time of my life. Late one night we snuck into the dunes past closing time and stared at the stars, talking about everything and nothing all at once. I had never bonded the way that I had bonded with them that weekend. When I got home I had realized something, I had finally found it, the true meaning of real friendship.

Real friendship isn’t about how long you’ve known someone, and it’s not about seeing them every day of your life. Real friendship isn’t about telling secrets and spreading rumors; it’s not about vacationing and talking about new love interests in your life. It’s about a strong bond between people that can never be broken. It’s about people that care for you and love you no matter what you do. These seven people opened my eyes to real friendship and I will always love them for as long as I live. I believe in real friendship and I hope one day you find what I found in these amazing people.