RevLindsay - Markham, Canada
Age Group: 65+

FIRST, I WONDERED;

THEN I QUESTIONED, AND GOT SOME ANSWERS.

ANSWERS LED ME TO HOPE,

WHICH LED ME TO BELIEFS,

WHICH LED TO SAY, “NOW I KNOW”–FEW THINGS.

Rather than saying, “This is what I believe”, I prefer to say: “At this point, and subject to change, this is my opinion, or what I feel is true.”

It is my opinion, therefore, that belief, or faith, began for me the moment I became old enough to develop a child-like wonder and began to ask questions. Fortunately, I had loving parents. I, also, I had six older and loving siblings. Though they were not well-educated and sophisticated people, they were sincere and told me what they knew. Later, I also had helpful teachers, at all levels of education. They helped me understand, at a deeper level, that, while belief and faith may go beyond reason, they never need to go contrary to it.

To this day—and I am in my eighth decade—I remember with fondness one professor and adviser to new students, welcomed us with the words: “Please, when you enter any classroom in this university, do not hang up your brains when you hang up your hat. Bring all you questions and your sincere doubts.

As a result of this, in preparation for the Christian ministry, I went on to major in philosophy and psychology, including the history of ideas, including theology. I also fell in love with life-long learning.

PNEUMATOLOGY

This led to my learning about ‘pneumatology’—the study of the spirit (see Wikipedia). It is also a branch of metaphysics which was commonly studied in the 1500’s. I found out that it is also an obsolete name for psychology. Furthermore, I was led to process theology/philsophy (see Wikipedia. There, also see unitheism and Alfred North Whitehead, and Matthew Fox.)

UNITHEISM

Currently, I consider myself to be a unitheist. That is, one who, while appreciating the contribution of monotheists, believes that GØD—note the new symbol which I use—is not a personal being, but rather, being itself.

For me, GØD is the symbol I use to refer to all “things”, total being itself, visible and invisible—physical, mental and spiritual—which we can explore using philosophy and science and demonstrate using art.

It stands for that which we experience as the natural and/or supernatural—the all-inclusive mystery in and through all that is.

GOODNESS, ORDER AND DESIGN

G stands for moral goodness. Ø, which is a symbol used in higher maths, stands for the mathematical order evident in all of nature, as explored by science/maths. D stands for the design of things leading to harmony and to life filled with justice, peace, beauty and truth.

===========000000000000000==========

One With God, Eternally

Stay not beneath this sky to weep for me, or

cry; I am not here, I did not die.

Only the earthy part of me lies here beneath

this stone and tree.

The real me in higher places dwells beyond

the limits of this flesh, this clay.

From this time forward, I am free to be at

one with GOD and thee…

I’m one with calm, with wind and rain, one

with light on golden grain;

I’m one with earth, and sky, and sea, and one

with time-eternity.

So, weep awhile! But do not mourn! I am not

here; I am reborn.

Only my form lies ‘neath this earthy sod;

The real me, at last, is one with GOD.

Rev. Lindsay George King

1983

Copyright ©2006 Rev. Lindsay George King