Thomas - West Palm Beach, Florida

Since the day I was born my parents have always told me to take life on with a positive attitude and a head of steam and that eventually my hard work would pay off as I settle down to live a good life. Now this has gotten to be a little harder as of late, seeing as I have yet to speak to my mom since the middle of September. But the words of wisdom they have preached will remain with me till the day that I part and this I believe is the best piece of advice I have ever been given.

Each and everyday I get up, I put a smile on my face and walk out the door to hit the world head on with a positive attitude. I try not to let the little things bother, and as my parents have always told me, nothing is worth loosing my temper over. I don’t let what people say about me get to me, and I could careless about the drama that lies in every high school. It doesn’t bother me if I’m a friend of the “cool” crowd, or if I’m included in anyone’s plans for the upcoming weekend. As long as I have my family to support and be there for me I can do it. If something or someone tries to bring me down, or distract my positive attitude, I look past the obstacle and remember my mom and my dad taking their own life on with a smile everyday, not letting the unnecessary things in life distract them.

A positive attitude can lead oneself to have the strength to tackle anything, and that’s the other mindset my parents have lead me to understand. With everything I do I try to give one hundred and ten percent, and if I can’t give it that, I’ll settle for no less than one hundred percent. Now although it might sometimes take a while for me to get that done, it’s only because I had not enough time to completely fulfill the task. My main focus is to graduate high school, and move on to college at the end of this year. For me to be able to do that, there is a lot of stuff for me to complete and I have been trying my best to do it all on time.

My mother and father have taught me to set goals high, and climb until I reach them. Keep clawing and scratching until I get to the top, because once I get to there, life’s advantages start to come around. If I keep a positive attitude, and take life on with a head of steam, one day I will be a college graduate, with a job in a profession I admire, and living in the home of my dreams with a family of my own. So to this day, and into the future, I keep that advice fresh in the back of my mind.