Mary - Beavercreek, Ohio

If Chelsea can do it, so can I

I believe in Chelsea. She is probably one on the best friends I will make in high school. She has helped me and taught me so much. Sadly, she will never know exactly how much she has done for me. Chelsea has Down syndrome.

Because of Chelsea I believe in compassion. I help take the Special Education class to lunch everyday. As a peer helper it is my job to help the students open ketchup, cut up food, and so on. On a regular basis I see Chelsea helping her friends when the peer helpers are too busy. It amazes me how caring she is and that even though she herself is disable she helps those less fortunate. Now I try to take time and put my problems aside to help those that need me.

Chelsea also helped me to believe in experiences. As a senior I wanted the year to be perfect. I wanted the perfect classes, perfect clubs, and perfect dances. I asked Chelsea to be my date to the Homecoming dance. I watched her get more and more excited each week. On the day of the dance she paused in front of every mirror to look at herself in a fancy dress. She wanted to dance to every song that the DJ played. She told all of her friends how beautiful they looked. Not for one moment was Chelsea any different from all the other girls there. At the end of the night she thanked me for taking her, but I should have been thanking her. Chelsea made my last Homecoming dance perfect. That was Chelsea’s first dance, and it may have been her last. She cherished each second as if it were special. That simple experience changed Chelsea’s life as well as mine. Now I embrace every experience given to me. I enjoy myself whenever I can because I don’t know when I will get to experience it again.

I believe in life. I am so thankful that I have been given the chance to share my life with such a special girl. When I wake up I think, “If Chelsea can do it, then so can I.” This I believe.