Maria-Teresa - El Paso, Texas
Themes: science

I believe in immunizations. The most potent medical weapon ever devised to vanquish deadly germs are vaccines. During my lifetime there have been vaccines to immunize against Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Poliomyelitis, Measles, Mumps, Rebulla, Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), Hepatitis B, Hepatitis A, Varicella, and Influenza. These diseases are not only delilibating but fatal.

When I read that the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is spending millions of its money on the irradication of these diseases, I know beyond any doubt that there is no other way that all humanity can be enriched than by preventing these diseases. Immunizations are the first line of defense toward good health. Without health there is nothing else. All mankind benefits by the efforts that are done to vaccinate everybody, especially children. To me it is the most ideal and most important action that anyone can do for another human being. All the research, efforts, sacrifices, and investments that have been done so that these vaccines are available cannot be measured because the possibility of never being diagnosed with any of these horrific diseases is priceless.

I want to personally thank the Gates Foundation for making the vaccines available so that every person in the world can be immunized. I pray and I will continue to pray that all obstacles to immunize all the people in the world are removed at any cost. I also pray that scientists and any and all the persons working on vaccines are enlightened in their work toward the prevention of many diseases that one day can be prevented with a vaccine.

I also believe in the future of immunizations. I read in an article written by Ronald Kotulak of the Chicago Tribune that vaccines are now being called on to do something totally and culturally revolutionary—inoculate people against bad habits, such as overeating, cigarette smoking, and drug use. It has yet to be proven whether this new era of vaccine research can actually subdue many of the poor lifestyle choices that are today’s biggest threat to health—causing obesity, cancer, heart disease and other problems. The federal government and the National Institute of Drug Abuse is spending millions of dollars toward finding out whether two of the vaccines

can end nicotine and cocaine addiction. The NIDA predicts one of the nicotine vaccines may be available for marketing in three years. Results of a major obesity vaccine trial that is being conducted in Switzerland are expected later this year, and the company officials are hopeful that the vaccines could be ready for use in a few years. Yes, in this I believe, I do believe in immunizations.