Miranda - Connersville, Indiana

Change can be a scary concept. Change can affect more than just one life. It can affect many lives, maybe for the better maybe for the worse. At the tender age of 16, I faced a difficult change. I lost my mother to the nasty disease of cancer. I had a choice to make, I could either live in denial for the rest of my life and try to move on while hiding or I could go through the grieving process and accept the unfortunate loss of my mother. I realized that if I do not face this change it could work on my emotions for the rest of my life. So I decided to live my life and just make her proud of me. Since then I have been taking care of the elderly, in doing this I have realized that you should enjoy the little things in life. I have given a lot of thought to the changes that I need to make in my life and I have decided that I want to become a better person, I want to be the one to help others in need and although there are a lot of careers out there that I could have chosen, I chose to be a nurse.

I learned a long time ago that caring for other people gave me a sense of self worth. This meant that I could give these people a part of me and time that they well deserve. Time is precious. I believe in giving time to others to help them feel better is priceless. Time may be all that a nurse has to give to the patient. There is a saying that I heard a few years ago that I truly believe in; “I believe that even when you think you feel so drained that you have nothing left to give, when someone cries out to you, you will find the strength to give.” Sometimes, a nurse is the only person that someone may have to lean on in times of need. I believe that if people don’t remember who you are or what you did they will definitely remember how you made them feel.

Everyone experiences some kind of change in their lives. Whether it is a personal injury, a loss of a loved one, or a drastic change in lifestyle, it can be devastating. I believe finding some humor in any situation can ease the effects of the change. This is something that everyone should depend on in times of need, find laughter in all of life’s changes and the transition will go easier.

I’ve heard that the most difficult and painful changes in our lives often prove to be the greatest gifts. I’ve found it to be true. In saying this I believe that if change was not a part of life the human species would not evolve. We must have change in order to survive and live a meaningful life.

Therefore, I believe that change makes you not only a better person but a better nurse.