Sarah - Richmond, Indiana

Love for Nursing

I have a love for nursing.

Do you?

It takes someone a little crazy,

To want to do what I do.

I sit through classes,

of med surg and psyc.

I work on care plans,

Much longer than I’d like.

I stay up late to study,

Hoping I’ll make the grade.

Sometimes I wonder,

Why this decision I made.

You may wonder,

Why all this I do,

And I’ll proudly say,

I do this all for you.

I have a love for nursing,

Do you?

This poem explains briefly the passion and initiative required to become a nurse. I am looking forward to working with other passionate nurses to make a difference in others’ lives. Nurses are special people who have the opportunity to influence others and provide a foundation of hope. With just a smile or a hug, a nurse can offer a ray of sunshine to a patient who is feeling lonely or loosing hope. She does all this from the kindness of her heart. It takes someone very special to do what nurses do. Nurses usually take care of others better than they do themselves. Nurses care for patients holistically- physically, emotionally, and psychologically.

Working in a nursing home, during my clinical, I realized the impact on patients of the simple small actions that nurses do everyday. I sat with my client for a couple of hours just listening to him tell stories of his life as a young man. I realized, while sitting there, holding his hand, listening to him talk, how great it was that I could brighten his day with my presence.

The following day, I came into his room and a smile grew on his face as he said, “I thought of another great story to tell you!” He was looking forward to spending time with me. To me, letting him know that nurses care about him as an individual was important. I think that when nurses spend time with clients like this, they feel more special and have something to look forward to later.

Although the majority of nurse’s are perceived as loving individuals who are passionate about their jobs, there are those who are not. Some nurses do not show their passion and love of people. They go in the room of the patient, do what they need to do and leave. Some of these nurses do not take time to talk with their patients to see how things are going emotionally with them. To the people in the community, the nurse may come off as not caring about the patient.

My hope is that one day all nurses will have a love for nursing. I dream of the day when all nurses care so deeply about the well-being of their patients and their community, that nurses treat all of them holistically. I want all my patients to feel like I care about them as the individuals they are. I have a love for nursing, Do you?