Angela - Winchester, Indiana

Angela Smoot

IU East

“This I Believe”

What do you think of when you see the word “nurse’? Some people think of only females, some of white skirts and caps, and some of gruff demeanors. These are all images that people have that are more like stereotypes. We all have those images in us at one point or another. Everyone has their view of the jobs a nurse is supposed to have. To some people we are held up with regards to our knowledge and skills. And to others we are at the bottom because we take care of people who are sick. The community does not see all the different aspects of nursing that really goes on. They are sometimes misinformed about all that a nurse is capable of doing, and what a nurse really does.

When I see the word “nurse” I think of caring, compassionate, male or female, working for the good of others, working in all kinds of settings, and wanting to make the world a better place. Being a student I am sure that our views of nursing are still fresh and maybe not even right. We have not seen and dealt with as much as a nurse who has worked for a while. As new nurses we are excited to get out there and help people. We have seen that professionalism is the key to success. Without professionalism I do not believe you can be the best nurse you can be, and provide the best care.

I want to become a nurse because I truly believe that we can make a difference in our world today. Yes I know the journey is long and hard sometimes, but I feel it will be greatly worth it. We need to show the community how nurses work in many different ways to keep people safe. Nurses will be teachers for the rest of their life. A nurse works in many more places other than a doctor’s office or a hospital. I know nursing is a profession where you are constantly learning new things, if we weren’t learning we would not be providing the best competent care to our patients. Nursing is not for everyone, but for some it is a great passion. I hope we never loose the fire that we have about nursing. It is not always going to be easy, but it will be worth it in the end.