Kianna - Richmond, Indiana
Themes: change

This…I Believe

I have spent the last three years of my life in the pursuit of a dream. That dream is becoming a nurse. I have learned many valuable lessons during these years that cannot be found in any of the pricey textbooks that I have spent endless hours studying. One of the most valuable of these lessons is that I am stronger than I imagined. I believe that we all possess more strength than we know and that it is through struggle that we find it.

There have been many times when I have felt that I could not go on but somehow I’m still here. One of the hardest lessons for me to learn has been finding the strength to believe in myself. There have been countless times that I have questioned my ability to make it through the challenges that nursing has presented. Am I smart enough? Is this worth the time that I’m sacrificing with my family? Is this even the right profession for me? It has only been during this semester of actually working with patients that I have found the answers to these questions.

I believe that intuition is as important as intellect in nursing. Working with children has helped me to learn that it is not all about how “smart” I am or what I know, but equally important what I am willing to learn and what I can teach others. When working with a prepubescent girl being raised by a single father, I drew more from my experience as a mother than from what I had learned from a textbook. It was a mother’s guidance she needed more than an anatomy lecture.

I have heard nurses referred to as “glorified waitresses” and “pill passers”; I believe we are much more. We are the ones who are there at the beginning of life, at the end of life, and all of the points between. We are caretakers, teachers, and advocates. We are there through some of life’s most memorable moments and sometimes manage to make a lasting impression. We appear among family photos and are immortalized as “the nurse who helped deliver…” or “the lady who took care of …” .

I believe that nursing is a gift both given and received. It is as much a gift to me to be able to take away pain and suffering as it is for those who are relieved of them. I believe that gift is worth the sacrifices. I believe that my sacrifices have helped to make me worthy and appreciative of that gift. I believe that nursing has changed my life and taught me how to change the lives of others. This…I believe.