Julie - Brookville, Indiana

I Have the Best Mother In the World

I believe I have the best mother in the world. This is not a new realization as I have thought this since I was in Jr. High. She is kind and caring. She listens to your concerns and answers your questions, no matter how trivial. She encourages you and looks on the bright side.

My mother is selfless. She is committed to God, my father, her family, and friends. She is always willing to rearrange her schedule to help us out if needed. She will stay up all night to finish that costume or outfit that you need tomorrow. She is very disciplined.

My mother is also firm. She is firm to her convictions and she never wavers. She does not believe in that old adage “Do as I say not as I do”. She is a role model for my siblings and myself. She has taught us not to lie, cheat or steal. She is very humble.

She says you should take care of the body that God has given you, do not smoke or drink. Eat a proper diet. It is OK for her to say these things because not only does she believe they are true, she walks the talk She expects her children to do the same.

At the age of 42 I felt called by the Lord into nursing. I do not totally understand this as I have spent 25 years building a successful real estate career. No one in my family is a nurse or even in the medical field. Mother, as always, is encouraging me to follow my heart. I know she prays for her children daily but now she waits for my morning call to find out if she needs to say an extra special prayer to get me through a test that day.

I am realizing now that my perfect nurse role model is my Mother! She has all the qualities that I think a nurse should have: kindness, discipline, compassion, and commitment. She is a great teacher answering your questions and giving you options. She is very intuitive and speaks with authority and conviction. She comforts your wounds, those that are easily seen and those that are not.

In life and in nursing, I hope that I can be like my mother. I have the best mother in the world, this I believe.