amber - connersville/in/47331, Indiana

Why I chose to be a Nurse

What is the best thing about being a nurse? The human connection. I truly believe that I have a gift for nursing. It is appears to be such a rewarding position . What is the definition of a nurse? A nurse to me is someone who is an advocate for their patients and cares for their every need; including physical, social, emotional, and spiritual needs. A nurse is someone who provides holistic care to their patients in a non-judgmental and caring way. Nursing looks to be a very demanding but rewarding career. I feel that I will make a very good nurse, and my patients in clinicals have already told me that many times.

Nurses care for people through illness, injury, pain, loss, dying, grieving, birth, growth, aging, and health. Nurses not only care for people through illness they promote health, prevent disease, and educate the public. Nurses are concerned with the overall health and wellness of people from the physical level to the emotional level of coping with their illness. Also, a nurse interacts with family members and close friends by being empathetic to their loved one’s illness. A nurse is honest and open to communication.

A nurse is the main communication link between the patient and doctor. Caring for people is the main source to becoming a good nurse.

The feeling of giving yourself to a complete stranger in their greatest time of need is like no other feeling. I have been told by current nurses that helping someone to smile and knowing that you have made that person feel good if only for that moment is the most gratifying experience. I have felt this gratification during my clinical experiences at IU.

From my research and personal experiences in clinicals nursing as a profession is exciting, ever changing, diverse, and allows opportunities for learning something new everyday. There are so many reasons to become a nurse that it shouldn’t be a difficult decision. The job itself allows for advancement opportunities, job security, continuing education, flexibility, good pay and benefits, and there is a high demand for nurses all over the world. Former graduates have told me that the end result of receiving your diploma will be the proudest moment of your life.

The work has been tough but in the end I will remember that I am a special person and this was the path that I chose and I am so glad I took it. Nursing has elements incorporated from all angles of life, both the best and worst, what more could people ask for in a lifelong profession? Every day I have the opportunity to impact someone. The words I use, my actions, and my attitude can help another person to heal . I will never make a million dollars, but in my experience there is no greater reward than to help another and hear them say, “thank you”. I am proud to be a future nurse.