Nicole - Winchester, Indiana

I believe a nurse is a caregiver. I believe a nurse is someone who is not judgmental and is willing to care for anyone no matter the color of their skin or lifestyle preferences. I remember the first time I wanted to become a nurse. I was in high school and I was doing what is called a school to work program that my school provided. I was doing my school to work experience at a hospital. I got to follow the nurses around all day and see the things their jobs entail. After about my third week of being at the hospital, the nurse I was with had an elderly patient who was dying. I remember watching her take care of this patient, and she was very good to him and showed much needed support and attention. She also helped the patient feel more comfortable and helped make him feel better about his situation. He was very thankful for the treatment he was receiving and kept praising the nurse for being so good to him and all the support she showed him and how good of an experience he had had with the hospital. After that day I knew I wanted to be a nurse, I wanted to be that nurse someday that helped make a difference in someone’s life. I do believe also that nurse is someone that does make a difference in the people’s lives that they take care of. I believe that nursing promotes a positive public image by encouraging a healthy, safe, and well balanced lifestyle, as professional role models. Nurses are always there when care is needed and nursing provides competent care for the public when needed. I believe the public views that nurses are to provide professional aid as well as treat and care for each patient individually.