Chris - Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin

Loyal Friendship

Friendship. Friendship is very important to me. I have many friends. Some of them are funny, dumb, shy and smart, but I know who my friends are. They are the people who I like to spend my time with when I’m not busy. I need my friends to be there for me when I need them and I think they count on me for support when they ask for my help.

In 1998, the summer before I went into 3rd grade, I was over at my grandma’s house for the day and I had invited my best friend to come with me. After lunch we were bored so my grandma gave us some money to go to DQ to get some ice cream. We rode our bikes there because it was about a ½ mile away from her house. She warned us not to ride too fast because the road behind the stores was an unpaved gravel/rock pathway. So we rode there nice and slowly and devoured our frozen desert.

When we were done my friend got a great idea to race back up the hill to my grandma’s house. I told him I didn’t want to because I remembered what she warned us about riding fast, but I agreed to race anyway because I didn’t want to sound like a baby. Suddenly, my friend took off down the sidewalk towards the house. Instead of chasing after him, I took the short cut down the gravel path behind the auto shop.

I didn’t ride more than 100 feet before a screeching car brake made me look back and when I turned around there was a big rock directly in front of me. I had no time to react before I slammed into it. I flipped around and impaled my right knee in a 3 inch, razor sharp rock. I must have been in shock because I don’t remember it hurting at all, but I pulled the rock out and could see my bone. I remember a lot of blood, and then I heard my friend screaming. He was over me trying to help me up. Remarkably, we made it all the way back up the hill to the house.

I had to go to the emergency room to get it repaired. It took 20 stitches and about 3 and a half hours of x-ray and surgery. All I cared about; however was that my friend stayed there with me to talk and comfort me during the surgery to keep me calm and awake. He could have just gone home without me, but he came back to help. During the 3 months after, I wasn’t allowed to bend my knee so he helped out a lot before and after school.

I think this incident showed that he really cared and helped strengthen our friendship, it must have, because he and I are still very good friends. I think everyone needs a good friend. This I Believe.