Mary - Winter Springs, Florida

Living while Loving

I believe in the power of unconditional love, love with no strings attached. I believe that the biggest way to impact lives for the better is through loving every person that you encounter. I try to live my life the way that Jesus Christ lived his; he is the inspiration for my daily struggle to love everyone in my life. I often use the expression “live love” as a reminder for myself. It is often said that “everyone wants to be loved” but few are willing to give love out freely. Imagine the power you would poses if you decided to give out something that everyone wants. When I first made the decision to try and love the people that I encounter in life I thought that the people I was loving would be effected the most little did I know that it would be my life that was changed.

The first time I remember recognizing the power of unconditional love was several summers ago. It was a hotter summer then usual and wild fires were ravaging Volusia County, Florida. My parents and a good group of people from our church decided to try and impact the community in a positive way through love. So we packed several coolers full with ice and sodas and hit the local grocery stores. We waited outside and handed cold sodas to people leaving the store and said “this is a symbol of love with no strings attached.” We had a lot of different responses… there were those who gladly accepted the gift smiling and thanking us as they walked away, a few who didn’t quite understand that maybe smiled while rushing away, and I even remember a couple people who actually opened the soda and poured it on our feet. Looking back at the experience it really taught me how impacting a life filled with unconditional love can be because it showed me that if you love people completely even if they reject you, you still loved and got something positive out of it.

The majority of people do not understand unconditional love. If they receive love from a stranger it makes them almost do a double take and wonder what is going on. If you receive a random act of kindness from a stranger it brightens your day no matter the situation. I have found that during my lifetime that when you give love freely you receive much more then you give out. I have been several times to rural Jamaica on mission trips. I have worked with the local communities there and especially the small children in these towns. When I worked in these towns I realized that the harder I worked the more love and compassion I received back. There is no greater reward in life then unconditional love from a stranger.

The power of unconditional love is un-ending and all-powerful. It has impacted my life in ways I can not even imagine. Each day I wake up and make a goal of showing love to at least one person I encounter in that day. I try to live my life filled with acts of kindness and community service. The only way our world will end up being a better place for ourselves and those who are coming after us is by our own actions. I believe in the power of love and if you live a life inspired by it I promise you will be blessed beyond your wildest dreams and experience happiness much greater then you believe you could have ever achieved on your own merit. All because of love for strangers with no strings attached.