I Am Here for My Patients

Pam - Greenville, Ohio

I am a nursing student, most importantly; I am a third generation nursing student and soon to be a third generation nurse. My grandmother was a nurse, her sisters were nurses, my aunts are nurses, and my cousin is a nurse. I know I am carrying on a tradition, but I did not do this for them (my family), I chose nursing for me. I chose nursing, because I love people. I love everything about people. I want to nurture them, help them, care for them, counsel them, and share important times with them.

Right now, I work in a little hospital, where everyone is like a big “family” and this is how I feel it should be. The employees, the patients, the patients’ family, we all are a “family.”

I love going to work, I love seeing my patients that I have been taking care of, I love to see my patients’ families, and most of all I love to see my patient move on. This is not always a happy ending. Sometimes my patients will get better, be able to return to their previous lives, and get to go home and spend time with their family. Sometimes my patients recover, but not enough to go home and are then going to live in an extended care facility, a.k.a. nursing home where I know they will get the love and care they deserve.

The time I find most fulfilling is when my patients pass on, at the hospital in our special room that is accommodating to the family, or in the comforts of their own home. This may be upsetting to some, but I know in my heart and soul that they have passed on to a better place and they are no longer suffering. They are happy.

These are the reasons that God placed me here on this earth. I am here for my patients, for my patients’ family, for my family, and for myself.