Jennifer - New Castle, Indiana

Jenny Cunningham

“This I Believe”

I believe a nurse is a care giver, not only to a client but to their family as well. A nurse is a listener, and a teacher. I believe nursing to be the most rewarding job there could be. I knew that I wanted to be a nurse at the age of 15. My grandmother was diagnosed with stage four cervical cancer when I was 13. She went through radiation and chemotherapy both. Then one year later at her check up we found that the cancer had spread up to her lungs. She became very ill and was in and out of the hospital for months. Then she spent 30 days at IU Medical Center and every day after school my mother, sister, and I went to visit her. I observed a lot of different nurses and they were not only caring for my grandmother but caring for us and our needs. They were so gentle, kind and very supportive. When my grandmother turned terminal they were so comforting. My grandfather decided he wanted her at home. The nurses set us up with hospice, and we took her home with a hospital bed and everything she needed for her comfort care. She got home and passed a week later. Without the hospice nurse there I don’t know how we would have handled it. She was so supportive and took care of everything in such a professional way. From that day forward I knew that I wanted to be that person. I wanted to give care to clients and families, and make a difference in there lives just as the nurses did for my family and I.

For the past five years I have worked as a certified nursing assistant, and have been around people that state their views on what they believe the nursing role is. I have heard everything from they would never be a nurse because of having to deal with the doctors bossing them around, and patients families always blaming you for everything that goes wrong. Families have told me that they view nurses as the people that are the primary care givers, where as the doctor only comes in and asks a few questions and then they don’t see him or her again until the following day. They believe that the nurse is the one they turn to for getting their needs met and to answer their questions.

Now as a nursing student I believe nursing is giving care, listening, and teaching just as I thought it was. Having someone counting on me for proper care and support is so rewarding. When a client relies on you to teach and educate them on their new diagnosis, you need to make them feel relaxed and comfortable and make sure they know that you are there for them and their family. With my clinical experiences I have found at the end of the day I feel like I have made a difference.