Andy - Worthington, Ohio

I believe in the power of the moment.

Not just any moment, but the one happening now.

I believe that by focusing on this moment, where I am here and now, that I honor the God that created it, and that put me in it, and that put those around me in it with me.

I believe that by letting myself be in this moment, and just this moment, that I can let go of my baggage from the past, and release myself from the preconceptions of the future.

I believe that by experiencing this moment that I release myself from an obligation to consider how this moment might impact the next, and thus to pre-judge this moment. I believe that I allow myself the freedom to look at myself, and those around me, as completely different people without this judgment. When I am looking at people in just this moment, and considering them in just this moment without the context of a potential, future agenda, I find it easier to respond to them in ways that I think will help them, and I feel that I honor them by responding in this way. I believe that when I interact with people one moment at a time that I am better able to be the person that I try to convince my two-year-old daughter that I already am.

I believe that when I am “in” the moment that I can see the world differently. I find that when I am not thinking about what will be happening later in my day, my week or my month, that I notice what is happening in that moment more intensely. When I am outside I notice the smell of the air around me, the color of the leaves above me, and the texture of the earth below me. I feel that when I notice these things that I honor them and the God that created them, and that seems to me to be some how very appropriate.

I believe that if each of us considered each moment as just one moment, letting go of our baggage from the past and the preconceptions of the future, treating everyone as we would have our children believe that we already do all the time, and noticing the beauty of our immediate surroundings, that we would all have the power to change the next moment rather than letting it happen. And I believe that if we all thought that we had the power to accept the moment that we are in, and that we had the power to change the next moment, that we might change the next moment. And I believe that if we changed the next moment to reflect the beauty of the current moment that many sad, damaging, disrespectful things might not happen.

I believe that we are given the ability to understand the power of the moment, and the strength to change our lives moment by moment. I try to do this everyday, and for many moments out of every day. I understand how hard this is, but I feel that by trying to make the most of each moment that I am in, that I am getting closer to the ability to consider the next moment without judgment or preconception, and I feel that this might keep me from creating, or participating in, a sad, damaging or disrespectful act towards another person or the world I live in. And thus I believe that the power of the moment is the power to create the kind of world that I would like my daughter and our family to live in, even if I have to help try to create this world one moment at a time.

This I believe.