Georgina - Boise, Idaho

I believe that human decency and understanding will win through in the end and all aspects of human diversity will be eventually accepted, as like Anne Frank, “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart” and the many constitutional amendments that define marriage will be rejected or overturned, but for now:

I believe that there is work to be done to protect the lives of the children in same-sex couple households from the bigotry of those looking to hurt their parents, and to educate the fearful so that they will understand, accept, and value the differences in us all.

I believe that these children need loving parents who can take them to the doctor, collect them from school, and visit them in hospital without having their rights questioned and need a legally drawn up “Co-parenting Agreement” in their possession at all times. Likewise, I believe that their parents should have the same hospital visitation rights as married couples without requiring a “Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare” so that they and their children can make unquestioned hospital visits and assist their partner in healthcare choices.

I believe that the livelihood of these children should not be threatened in “Right to Work” states by the fear of job loss or in-job persecution that restricts upward mobility for their same-sex parents with signals that it is alright to discriminate.

I believe that these children should be afforded the same inheritance rights as the offspring of married couples and divorcees. Written wills only go part way to assuring that the assets of same-sex couples are passed on to their children as the alternate parent’s estate is taxed before their children receive a penny.

I believe that the emotional bond of life partnership, already afforded to same-sex couples through commitment ceremonies at many religious establishments, and the natural, biological need to nurture, satisfied today through adoption, fostering, and child birth, will eventually be recognized as real by the majority and full civil rights for all families and individuals will be instated by both state and federal government. Thus I believe that, as a fair minded person, you too will understand that the ultimate result of a vote to alter a state’s constitution with a “marriage amendment” will go far beyond defining marriage, a vote to change the constitution will turn back the civil right’s clock and will further affect the welfare of children in same-sex families.