Rachel - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: hope

The phrase “lighten up…” is frequently used to calm the people of today’s modern world that are busy with the hustle and bustle of everyday life. This phrase also represents the optimism that most people possess in their lives and they use this to get through what life throws at them. As for me, “lighten up…” sums up my outlook on life. It represents the better side of every situation in my life; from the daily tasks to the burdens and hardships I have experienced. In truth, I think being optimistic is what has gotten me this far and is the kind of outlook on things that has helped to be successful in almost anything I attempt.

I remember a moment in my life in which my mom told me that I was planned, as in her and my dad meant to have me. I remember her saying, “Of course you were planned! I wanted to have you, my little baby girl!” This was the first time that my mom and I had sat down and talked on a more “equal” level. For some reason, hearing my mom tell me that my parents meant to have me and that I was expected to be brought in this world made me look at my life more positively. It was like I knew for sure that I was here for a purpose. This optimism helped me to set higher goals for myself and gave me the confidence I needed to take on any tasks.

An experience I want to have in my life is to travel to other countries and experience the customs and traditions of other people first-hand. I want to visit and meet other groups of families and make friends with people that live extremely different from what I have seen. I set this goal coming to college; gearing it toward the traveling I want to do in the years to come. I know there are many things in the way right now of reaching this goal; but through optimism, I know I can succeed in reaching this goal one day.

Speaking of succeeding, optimism is what links an individual to success. I, personally, want to be able to step out of the “cave” of what my background and environment have sheltered me from and find the truth of how important success is or is not. So much value is put on this attribute, but is it really what everyone should strive for? I have been taught by many people that success is the ultimate goal I should seek out in my lifetime, but what about learning to love what you do instead of just doing it and getting the job done? Working solely for this one purpose, will only make a person lose who they are.

My optimism is what gets me through my days. It helped me to get through the hassles of being in a car-wreck, dealing with family deaths, and moving away to college. I believe that friends are the family you choose. I believe in never losing yourself or who you are. I believe that everyone must have a faith in something in order to survive. I believe that optimism is the factor that drives me toward success in life.