Lisa - Streamwood, Illinois

Just Me

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved rainy and stormy days. When I see the clouds rolling in and feel the rain start to fall, I am overwhelmed with excitement. I cannot wait for the storms and showers to begin. Some people might wonder why anyone would rather have rain over any normal, sunny day. However, I do not want to be categorized as normal. To me, rain is a symbol of diversity, a release from the norm. Like the rain, I strive to be unique and different and stand apart from the crowd. I will not let anyone or anything stand in my way of being whoever I want to be.

When I yearn to be different, I am capable of getting in touch with who I really am. Like the pouring rain outside my window, I can pour out my deepest thoughts and desires. My senses are opened beyond their limits. I can smell the beginnings of a downpour, feel the drops of rain on my skin, see the beautiful show of lights in the sky, and hear the pitter-patter on the roof. Once my senses are opened, I can truly be myself. I am completely relaxed and my mind can wander anywhere it wants to go. I can reveal my thoughts and dreams and be as unique as possible.

When I am my true self I know not to follow the typical thought of everyone around me. When someone tells me how to act or what I am supposed to be like, I do not listen to a word that person says. I would rather be called weird than do something that I was not comfortable with. I am the kind of girl who likes to stay home on Friday nights and relax by reading a book. Although I may be tempted to attend a party that everyone is going to, I stand my ground and do what I feel is right for me. Similarly, unlike many girls I know, I love sports. Instead of being at the mall or getting my nails done, I can be found rejoicing over a Bears’ touchdown on Sunday afternoons, or raving over a comeback win the Cubs’ had the other night. It does not matter to me if people view this to be abnormal. That is just who I am.

If I am able to set myself apart from the crowd, I feel accomplished. It is very gratifying to know that I am not part of some ordinary category of people in the world today. I will not be forced to conform to what society thinks I should be. It is much better to color a coloring book with one hundred different crayons than with ten. Life should be full of many choices. Who cares if I like to stay home on Friday nights? Who cares if I am disputing a call made in a Bulls’ game? Who cares if I’d rather have rain than sun? I am the only one I consider when it comes down to figuring out who I am. Nobody can tell me otherwise.