Jennifer - Connersville, Indiana

“This I Believe”

A little girl who looked up to her mother and grandmother. That was me. Both my mom and my grandma worked at the local hospital in the town I grew up in, and I thought it was the coolest place to be as a kid. I loved going up on the nursing floor and watching the nurses scurry around taking care of different patients. They seemed so professional and smart. That was going to be me when I grew up.

As I got older I began to change my mind about my future. My mom seemed to always be busy and working long hours and my grandma always seemed tired and overworked. I began to picture nursing as a job with no satisfaction. People were saying that nurses had the hardest job there was. From being professional butt wipers to long days without getting respect for their hard work. I was always hearing that the doctors looked down on the nurses and that I should get a job that was more fun and exciting.

So, I decided that the Army definitely seemed exciting and they would pay my way through college, so why not try that route. What in the world was I thinking? Here I was, a 5’2”, 110 lb girl, trying to be hard core soldier. Where did I go for nurturing? The church and the troop medical center. These were the two places were no one yelled and the chaplain and the nurses were so nice and sincere. My dream of becoming a nurse came back to life. I, along with every other soldier around me saw nurses as saving graces. I couldn’t wait to go to school to become an RN. When I told my mom and grandma about my plans, they were excited for me. For some reason I thought they would be disappointed, but instead they said they always knew I would end up becoming a nurse and follow in their footsteps.

Now, as I’m grudging my way through nursing school, I have come to realize that nursing has the highest job satisfaction that there ever could be. The more clients that I work with, the more I realize that I am not the only one that thinks nursing is wonderful. I’ve had people tell me that just by taking the time to talk with them, or hold their hand makes the problem their facing that much easier to handle. People are realizing that no robot or machine can take the place of compassionate, professional care. When I ask my family who they would rather talk to about their health problems, the doctor or the nurse, they say the nurse because she really takes the time to listen and understand their problems and fears.

Nurses are the people that take care of others, nurture them back to good health, become their confidant-their best friend, and their life savor. To me, can it really get any better than that? I hardly think so.