Wendy - New Castle, Indiana

I believe in setting goals and striving to achieve them no matter how challenging they may be. You see, I have just recently gone back to school to become a nurse. During my studies, I have gone through a range of emotions. I have been stressed, scarred, anxious, and not sure of my abilities, however I always go back to one lesson that I learned while growing up. When I was a child, I always wanted to be the best at everything I did and when I wasn’t or something got too hard I would want to quit but my parents would not let me. Today, however, as an adult I believe that the most rewarding experiences I gained through childhood where the ones that that were hard to accomplish, the ones that made me cry, stressed me out and so on. This belief is getting me through nursing school because if I had not learned this lesson as a child I more than likely would have quit nursing school and would not be able to be join a profession that I deeply want to become a part of.

I have been asked many times by friends why I chose to leave a job in which I made the same amount of money that I will make when I become a nurse. They have gone on to ask, why I would go into a profession where all I do is take orders and follow the doctor around. First off, let me just say, I did not chose a career in nursing because I knew that I could get a job anywhere I went, though that’s not a bad benefit. The reason I chose to become a nurse is simple, I have a desire to help people in need.

Nursing, is a profession that encompasses a wide range of responsibilities, which includes teaching and providing direct care. However, I feel the most important responsibility of a nurse is to be the patient’s advocate. In which the nurse, looks for what is best for the patient when he or she may not be able too because of disease or lack of knowledge.

In regards to questions asked of me as to why I wanted to become a nurse just to follow around a doctor and take orders, I cannot blame my friends for feeling this way. Watch any medical program on TV these days and one is more than likely to see the doctors performing real life nursing duties. In my short time during clinical, I have never once seen a doctor start an IV, I have however seen nurses who perform these skills and more. The media is a powerful tool and has the ability to shape society beliefs, even when they may be misleading. In order to change misconceptions about nursing, I have begun to let everyone know exactly what it is I am learning. So much so, they are probably getting sick of hearing about nursing, but only through knowledge can others really understand what nursing is and what it is not.

If all goes as planned, May of 2008, is when I will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in nursing. This day will go down in my memories as one of the most rewarding accomplishments in my life because I will achieved my goal of obtaining a nursing degree.