Carolyn - Flagstaff, Arizona

“This I Believe”

I believe there is a commonality in all people. How do I know this? I know this because I’m a self proclaimed liberal who worked at Fox News Channel for two years.

I never thought I would do it, and I was sure I would hate it, but I set off on a journey that would both surprise me, and change me.

Here’s my confession, I used to think all Republicans were stupid, uneducated, or just plain “bad people”. My friends and I ALL believed this.

So, I went into my new job as a producer at Fox New Channel, expecting to hate it, and all the conservatives I would meet. As it turned out, I didn’t work with as many republicans as I imagined and surprisingly, I didn’t hate the ones I did work with. All that I believed up until now was upside down. The conservatives I worked with were educated and smart, and certainly didn’t fit into my other category- that is “bad people”. They loved their families, they friends, their children. They too wanted to be happy and live a good life. They were just like you and me. People, no matter how different their political and social beliefs, have a commonality. Once I actually took the time to get to know these people I found their humanity, and mine.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t and don’t agree with much of the conservative ideology I encountered, that is increasingly dominating our country. But I thought maybe if I stopped hating and dismissing these people then I could understand their ideas and where they came from. Nothing bad could come from that.

I left Fox Newschannel at the end of last year, and headed to graduate school. A place I thought I would find openness to different ideas. I always thought liberals were more open-minded than conservatives. I was ready and excited to discuss and study both conservative and liberal ideology and it’s place in out current social and political situation. Unfortunately, most of the liberals I experienced in my graduate program were dismissive of the conservatives, didn’t even want to explore other ideas, and often were hateful.

I believe this country is more divided than ever before, my graduate school experience has only solidified this. The liberals hate the conservatives, and the conservatives hate the liberals. Both think they are right about everything. No one is listening to each other, and no one cares to. The hate and anger just grows. The divisions grow. The political and social situation gets worse.

I’m not saying if you are a liberal that you should hold hands with Rush Limbaugh or the other conservative Republicans. But, lets just not hate them. Lets learn from them. Lets use what we learn from them to make our own ideas and causes stronger. Maybe if we don’t hate we can actually move forward toward change, and make this country, this world a better place. There is no change in hate.

In two years at Fox Newschannel I learned what I didn’t know for the first twenty-nine years of my life. I am no different than my perceived enemies. I now believe that even people, who have different ideas than me, have value. As humans we have to find value in other humans. The commonality of people is stronger than the hate. It has to be. This I believe.