Chelsea - Liberty, Indiana

Life Change

The first prenatal visit was very touchy. I was a fifteen year old self-centered teenager who was now expecting. My first appointment at the doctor was with a male physician whom which I despised. He reminded me often that I was too young and too unprepared to be having a baby. He was not willing to give me the proper education and support that I needed during my pregnancy because he was partial to my age and not my educational and emotional needs.

My next visit at the doctor’s office I saw a new midwife who just happened to be a friend of mine from school’s mother. From the first visit with her I felt a connection that other people may not think could exist between a patient and their care provider. She provided me with the emotional support I so desperately needed as a very young expecting mother and then brought me up to par on my educational needs. She often catered her visits to my needs and would spend long amounts of time with me at if I needed her. If there were such a thing as a therapeutic relationship between a nurse and their patient this was it! She was there for me throughout my whole pregnancy and even attended my emergency cesarean section after laboring with me for a very long period of time. I can truly say deep down in my heart that this unbelievably amazing woman who brought me so far in my pregnancy has impacted me for the rest of my life! She believed in me and my potential when no one else had hope for my future! She is truly the reason why I am now in a Bachelors Degree of Nursing program and striving to one day be a Nurse Mid-Wife with her untouchable integrity. It is my opinion that you can make an impact like this with hundreds of people in your lifetime, but it’s making sure that you affect each one individually to help aid and inspire a life change.

Chelsea M. Halcomb

Liberty, Indiana