Michael - Gwynedd Valley, Pennsylvania

One of our biggest misconceptions we have today is that of religion. If Jesus Christ, Moses, and Muhammad sat at a table together, they would be depicted dining and leaning on one another. They would dine together diplomatically, and of the utmost, peaceful. We see Jesus in paintings embracing the young, the old, and healing the sick, but have we forgotten that it took hundreds of years for his beliefs to become a separate religion? Therefore, none of those people that were healed were Christian; they were everything but.

This leads me to ask; have the people of our world forgotten what religion is truly about? I have always perceived faith and religion as spiritual tools that help one be a good person. I, personally, am an individual of faith, but I do not think that my faith is perfect. If faiths teach condescension, and superficiality, then faith loses its meaning in a religious context. Every religion has a set of morals, and these morals are meant to shape the ideal individual. Each religion’s goal is to make the world a better place for the people in it, not to say that the world should be this way or that way. As the greater community becomes more global, we are only beginning to realize how different regional communities are. As the world becomes more intimate, there is inevitable conflict between beliefs, simply because it is natural for humans to think differently.

Religion is in no way a curse or a fault to the modern man, but it is becoming a hurdle for the world community. It is becoming apparent that single minded thought is an idea reasonable only in a world that is disconnected. Today, have to embrace one another and compromise. It is time to put faith into its real context, not the literal. A Muslim can walk with a Jew if the two understand the meaning of faith. Faith does not make one perfect, but it makes one fit to take part in his or her world, and today, one religion never fits all. One day, Christians, Jews, Muslims and other faiths will walk side by side, like the disciples sit at the table together. To me, that is what religion is all about; making the world a better place for all and not just for one.