Katie - Abington, Pennsylvania

No such thing as sin:

I believe that there is no such thing as good and evil. I believe that everything is its own character but nothing should or can be classified as bad or good for everyone. I believe that there is no such thing as sin; that we create vice based on who we are and what we believe. We are raised to distinguish the good from bad; heaven from hell, black from white, but I am still waiting for a clarified definition of what these things really are. I believe that determining the difference between the two terms depends on one’s own personal perception. For what is good to some, may be bad to others. So is there any one central characteristic of these terms that one can universally prevail as true? I believe not. For example; Adam, Eve and the Serpent are familiar to us from childhood, yet the meaning of their story seems exasperatingly elusive. Why did the Divine prohibit our eating the apple from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil? Did He really not want mankind to be able to distinguish right from wrong? But I, personally do have a hard time distinguishing the two. The thing I never understood was why it was so “bad” that Eve broke God’s commandment in order to expirience the taste of sweet juice from a fruit. It is not that she acted upon an evil intent, more than pursued her curiosity. I believe that this example relates to all man kind in this world. People act upon their beliefs. Eve believed that the temptation of the sweet fruit was worth undermining a command. But is that really a sin? I don’t believe that we can really classify that as ill behavior, because who really is to judge, other than God, whether or not it is?

On September 11th 2001, when the World Trade center incedent occured, my initiative feelings towards the people who caused the event were negative. In fact they still are. I wondered how one could be so malevolent in following through with such a plan. However, over the years my anger has uplifted. I have been trying to find an understanding of why one would ever cause such grievence and pain for others. I can’t come to terms of seeing their actions as being in any way good, but I have realized that they do, and who is to prove which one of our views is in fact right? The terrorists believed that what they were doing was in the best interests of themselves and the common well being of their country.It was revealed that the terrorist’s motive for attack on the U.S was based on what they believed to be for good reasons. For example Osama Bin Laden proclaimed that the U.S. support for Israel had violated the human rights of millions of people (in Iraq) and our [the U.S] sanctions against Iraq had killed over a million people. They claimed that these were justified measures by god. When we felt attacked in the same way, we invaded, bombed and killed in their country as well. Both of us have claims for our motives, so in all, who really is the good guy? We, as Americans think these people, we call terrorists, are of wicked immorality. However, after having spoken with a Muslim that is even a current resident of the U.S, it was clear that they think Americans, are the real beings of wickedness. And yet, we have no one to confirm, whether or not one triumphs good over the other. Who, other than God, can tell us which one of us defines good and which one of us defines evil? And if there is a God giving us signs, he seems to be supporting all of us because we all seem to be following an outline of our own perception on what is good, bad, right and wrong.

Sin is all part of perception and what you believe to be good and what you believe to be bad. There is no solid substantiation as to which belief is right and which is wrong. This is why I believe that there is no one thing that is good or evil it is all based on what we as people believe.