Brandon - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Themes: sports, work

I believe in hard work. Hard work is something that comes from within. Hard work is not something that you can get a from a shake or a class. Hard work comes from the heart. When you feel like you just can’t take another step after only working out for a hour, that is hard work. I have been around basketball all my life and I have come across many talented individuals but they did not want the game as much as I did and did not work hard on every possession, and they found themselves on the on the losing side of the scoreboard when the buzzer sounded. Hard work is the factor that separates a intern from a CEO.

In the business world, there are so many individuals that are given the recipe and ingredients to success, all they have to do is follow the directions. But their lack of hard work soon leaves them hungry, and starving. Those who weren’t born with a silver spoon in their mouths and work everyday of the week like its their last, always find themselves digging in the pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow. Those that have everything laid out for them and don’t work hard can fake their way through the early stages of life, but soon the well runs dry and they are looking for a cup of water.

I pride myself on hard work because, I in no way shape or form received anything on a silver platter. Like in school, I am definitely not the brightest color in the crayon box, I am sometimes damn near brown. There are plenty of times where I find myself so confused in class that I want to just lay down on the floor and take a nap. But I am a very hard worker so if I don’t get something, I review it whenever I get a chance and if I still am a little bit cloudy, I go see my teachers for some extra assistance. If I never worked hard in school believe me, my papers would be marked up with more red than Saint Nick’s suit. Hard work is so key to my future and what I do in life, because basketball plays a major part. I am in the gym everyday working on different parts of my game and I still feel that I could be better if I work even harder. Without hard work I would probably be as valuable to a basketball team, as a soccer goalie with no arms.

I believe hard work is what makes or brakes me. I work hard everyday on the court and off the court. I have come a long way from my freshman year of high school, where I was sitting in the back of the class at a public school and playing junior varsity basketball, to being close enough to the teacher to smell the dust off the chalkboard at a private school and being the starting point guard for a championship team. Hard work is what I believe in and participate in every day.