Gabriella - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Themes: disability

I believe that people should respect others with learning differences.

My brother has Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (also known as ADHD). I respect my brother so much of who he is and how he learns because he is a very intelligent person that is successful in life, despite having a learning difference. I know it is hard for him to be considered a “normal” person because he is aware that he thinks differently from others. This is a challenge for him. Symptoms of anxiety and nervousness fulfill his mind to a potential disaster that could happen at any moment. Internally, he does not feel safe.

At a family dinner, my brother and his girlfriend were the hosts. It was a small, and very casual dinner consisting of hotdogs, hamburgers, and homemade macaroni and cheese. Looking at my brother, I could tell that he was very anxious about the way things were being set when we came over. I felt like I could hear his heartbeat roaring louder and louder because his hands were trembling and he was biting his nails. He was a nervous wreck. Signs like these make his ADHD noticeable at times because in his own reality, everything has to be perfect or according to his own way. If something is not going as planned as the way he wants it to, then his voice tone suddenly changes from a calm, soft spoken voice, to a shaky, chattering voice.

I believe that people with learning differences should be treated just like everybody else. All people learn in different ways, but for others, they might need more attention from adults. I do not have a specific learning difference, however, when I am given information about anything, I have a hard time understanding the material and it takes me a longer time to connect the relationship between ideas.

People talk about what they received on the SAT’s or ACT’s. While they might be good test takers, I am not one of them. I’m not so bad, but I gain so much anxiety when it comes to standardized tests and I feel trapped between time and reality. Since there is a limited amount of time, I feel like my brain cannot function on certain parts of the tests and I feel like there is a blockade between what I know and the question. However, I think that everyone should be treated fairly, regardless of how well they do on the tests, because it is not the test scores that define us; it is who an individual is and what they do in life.

I believe that people should respect or view people with learning differences as just an individual living life everyday. People are all different in the world, but yet they are still people.