Shaun - Burbank, California

Top lip and bottom lip combined, with the movement of your cheeks, which allows a view of your teeth is what I believe in. A smile to some is something not worth believing in; to me a smile determines one’s credibility. Everyone perceives a smile as being cool-free and happy, I view a smile as the soul and only way you can honestly determine who a person really is.

I do not believe in people who don’t participate in the act of smiling. There is no way a person who does not smile can be trusted. Smiling is 100% contagious; someone who does not accept the disease of smiling cannot be trusted. Then there are the people who smirk, a half-assed version of a meaningless smile. The smirk is basically one’s way of acknowledging their own cynicism, while being rude to which they are supposed to be smiling at.

Rolling over in bed, waking up next to the one you love, and receiving that everlasting smile from them when your eyes lock, is worth more than a lifetime of “I love yous.” A smile can determine many things like dishonesty, being content, and love; it can also allow us to learn.

I have smiled close to a hundred times while writing this essay and have come to the conclusion that something does not have to be funny in order to smile. I can smile at a million moments in my life, with each one meaning a different thing. When we learn to smile and really mean it, we are learning to love and truly respect one another. When I smile I feel better about myself. I am going to start smiling more so it rubs off onto others around me. In turn, they might feel a little better about themselves and start believing in the smile.